Traffic offenses can have severe consequences, and contacting a traffic lawyer Austin TX can help to minimize the negative impact. There are many different traffic violations for which citations are issued, and the corresponding punishments also vary widely. Because it is possible to have your license suspended or serve jail time as a result of traffic offenses, hiring a traffic lawyer in Austin, TX, may be an important step.
There are many kinds of traffic tickets, all of which demand a response. Anyone who fails to pay a fine for a ticket or who fails to appear in court can be arrested and their driver’s license may be suspended. An Austin, TX, traffic lawyer can help with every type of traffic violation, including strict liability offenses. When a person commits a “strict liability” offense, all that is required for the person to be convicted of the offense is proof that they committed the act, regardless of criminal intent. The following are examples of strict-liability offenses which a traffic lawyer in Austin, TX, can help with:
- Failing to use turn signals
- Parking in a handicapped zone without a proper permit
Traffic violations are classified as moving and non-moving violations, and a traffic lawyer in Austin, TX, can help with your case. The following are examples of moving violations:
- Driving below the minimum speed limit
- Driving faster than the posted speed limit (speeding)
- Driving without wearing a seatbelt
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)
- Driving drunk
The following are examples of non-moving traffic violations, which a traffic lawyer in Austin, TX, can help with:
- Driving with an invalid vehicle registration
- Parking illegally, such as in a handicapped zone
- Driving with license plates that are expired or missing
- Leaving an unattended vehicle running
Automatic License Suspension
Contact a traffic lawyer in Austin, TX, if you have been convicted of one or more traffic violations. All of the following circumstances result in automatic driver’s license suspension:
- If you are convicted of four or more moving traffic violations within 12 months.
- If within 24 months you are convicted of seven or more moving traffic violations.
- If you are convicted of at least two violations which conflict with an endorsement or restriction printed on your driver’s license, your license can be disqualified or suspended and it is highly recommended that you hire an Austin, TX, traffic lawyer.
The Texas Department of Transportation uses a point system as a way of tracking violations as well as their consequent penalties. Points are assigned to traffic violations. When points add up, contact a traffic lawyer in Austin, TX, because the result can be suspension of your driver’s license and/or your being required to pay surcharges.
The following is the point system for Texas traffic violations.
- 2 points for a traffic conviction in Texas or in any other state.
- 3 points for a traffic conviction involving a crash in Texas or in any other state.
The result of having just 2 points on your driving record can be higher insurance premiums. For more about surcharges and consequences of traffic violations, contact a traffic lawyer Austin TX.