In Texas, if your driver’s license is under suspension, you may be able to continue essential driving by getting an occupational drivers license Austin. Or in whichever jurisdiction your license was suspended. There are certain steps you can follow in the process for obtaining a restricted license; and it is helpful to hire an experienced attorney to assist in getting your occupational drivers license in Austin.
Many Texans find it surprising to learn of the many circumstances which can lead to a license suspension. And the need to apply for an occupational drivers license in Austin.
Reasons for License Suspensions
The following are among the reasons a person’s license may be under suspension. Either by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) or through the Administrative License Revocation (ALR) Program. You can apply for an occupational drivers license in Austin for some suspensions but not for all types.
See the following examples:
- Your license may be under suspension because of driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. There is a 90-day waiting period to obtain an essential need license.
- If your license is under suspension due to an intoxication-relative conviction, you may be able to get an essential need license. But only after a mandatory 180-day waiting period.
- If your driver’s license is under suspension because you are behind in child support payments, you are not eligible for an occupational drivers license in Austin.
- As a physician deems you unable to drive an automobile due to health reasons, your license will be under suspension. With this type of suspension, there is no option for an occupational drivers license in Austin.
- Whatever the reason a person’s driver’s license is suspended(cancelled, denied, or revoked) in Texas, an occupational license to operate a commercial vehicle will not be issued.
Occupational Drivers License Austin
An occupational driver’s license, also called an essential need license. This allows a driver whose license is under suspension to drive for the following purposes only:
- Work, and/or
- Carrying out necessary household functions.
It is necessary to provide a description of routes to be driven. As well as the specific hours and days you will be driving, when applying with Texas DPS for an essential need license. Other details involved in the process follow:
- Make a petition in a visit to the court and county where the license suspension occurred; and
- Obtain a signed order from the court, which can be used as a valid 30-day temporary driver’s license.
For an occupational drivers license in Austin, you will also need to provide the Texas DPS with:
- The certified occupational license petition and court order.
- From your insurance company, a Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (SR22).
- Suspension documents needed for the process, which a qualified license suspension attorney in Austin can provide you with.
- The required fees for reinstatement of your driver’s license.
- The ten-dollar occupational license fee.
Reach A Qualified Attorney
Contact a qualified attorney for help obtaining an occupational drivers license Austin Today.